Third Hand Questions

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Hello All:

I also am a long time developer with some serious problems with my hands in the middle of a Visual Studio 2008 conversion project.

I was surprised to find this software.

I have installed it and was able to get some of the commands to work using:

a) Windows 7 speech recognition software

b) an old desktop microphone that I will upgrade to a headset microphone

This software is great.

Phil,

a) Would you recommend any additional (or alternative) third party speech recognition software to help this software function optimally? ie) Dragon software or is Dragon a waste of money

b) Is there any way to add new commands to the list of 31 (in the version I have) and if so, is there any documentation on how to do so?

Any savings of keystrokes (and especially mousing) means less pain for myself and perhaps many others.

I'll test this software and give you feedback any time if you wish.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Mike

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Hey Mike,

Good luck.  I've been meaning to make additions to this, but have been slammed with work.

a) I've heard great things about Dragon, but have never tried it.  I believe the Windows speech works really well.  Even better if you train it to your voice.

b) You should be able to add new commands by pushing the plus icon at the bottom of the grid.  The spoken word is the word you want the speech recognition engine to listen for.  To view a list of possible commands, in visual studio, go to tools->options.  On the tree on the left, select Environment->Keyboard.  Any of the commands listed in the listbox (Action.Add, Action.Add.NETFrameworkLaunchCondition...) are ones that you should be able to put in the commands window.

I hope to make improvements, but looking at my workload for the next six months, I'm not sure I'll be able to.  The project is open, so if you or anyone you know wishes to make modifications, I'll grant modify access to the source tree.

Phil